Senior Building Surveyor
We are delighted to be recruiting a Senior Building Surveyor for a socially & ethically conscious REIT firm with over £580m social housing assets under management.
Founded in 2004, our client has built specialist investments teams in a number of key strategic sectors including improving the lives of vulnerable people across the UK by meeting the critical demand for specialised supported housing. Their homes give residents greater independence and dignity than traditional institutional care whilst still addressing their specialist care needs.
This is an autonomous role working exclusively within their REIT. You’d be reporting to a Property Director to help support the day to day project work on their various sites. It presently owns c500 housing sites across the UK.
Purpose of role:
The purpose of this role is the be the field based visiting properties on both a cyclical and a needs basis. The role includes inspecting refurbishments during and after works, checks to ensure that our registered providers are adhering to the terms of their lease, managing planned maintenance and other small building projects, and advising of suitability of proposed portfolios. This role will include a significant amount of travel all over the UK to inspect portfolio assets, as well as attendance at in the London office at least once per month.
- Identify repair and defects, advising on repair, maintenance and restoration.
- Assess and advise on building design, to ensure properties meet the needs of the proposed client group, the housing sector’s standards and expectations, and ESG requirements.
- Manage small scale building projects to time, quality and cost, liaising with external contractors, consultants and customers as required.
- Negotiate/advise on Dilapidations (when there’s a legal liability for disrepair.)
- Advise and assess the Health & Safety, Building Regulations and FRA aspects of their buildings.
- Compile snagging lists of works where necessary and manage them to their completion.
- Assess reinstatement values for insurance purposes.
- Organise documents for tender and liaise with developers, consultants and contractors on works.
- Providing ad-hoc advice, reviews and opinions on an ongoing basis to the Housing team.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- MRICS qualified (ideally 2-3 years post qualified experience)
- UK Full Driving Licence
- MUST: Notable & curent experience of building services/surveying in the Social Housing Sector
- A willingness to travel, including overnight to visit sites
- Interest in and firm knowledge of the built environment, including building regulations and H&S legislation
Qualities and Competencies:
- Able to quickly identify and focus on what is technically relevant, analysing problems in order to recommend solutions.
- Is persuasive, convincing and a strong negotiator when representing the companies interests robustly and fairly.
- Focuses on compliance, risk, and health and safety in site and residential settings.
- Can present confidently to large groups.
- Good team player – prepared to ‘roll sleeves up’ and help out
- Possesses strong organisational, report writing and record keeping skills, with an eye for detail
- Car driver with Full UK licence
- Remuneration subject to experience and fit. Guide to max £70k basic (Dependent on experience) + up to max 20% bonus
- 25 days paid holiday per calendar year, 3 must be taken at Christmas. This increases with length of service to a maximum of 28 days.
- Family (spouse & children) Private Health Insurance
- Health Care cash plan, currently with Medicare.
- Company pension
Lastly, company culture is incredibly important to them. They want people to work hard, act professionally, feel challenged by their work, and ultimately develop personally. They also want their staff to enjoy their responsibilities and have fun and throughout the year they organise a number of social events to bring everyone together including team away days and company off sites.
Standard office hours are 9.00am – 5.30pm although flexibility will be expected where necessary to get things done.
If you can demonstrate the right professional and personal qualities required of the role, please do not hesitate to contact us for a confidential chat!
At mjhr it’s simple. Outstanding client relations and recruitment expertise, choose the experts… we make things happen. If you have the necessary skills to meet this specification, drop us a line for a confidential chat on 0207 932 0090